Abandoned Codex Forum Index Abandoned Codex
The Abandoned Codex Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Overcharge Debate
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  

Solution to the Overcharging Balance Problem?
Abolish Overcharging completely. Once you remove an item, your hp/mana reverts to max.
53%
 53%  [ 8 ]
Cap Overcharging at 200%, i.e. you can't overcharge to more than double your hp/mana.
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Cap OCing at 120%, so you can go a little bit over, but not enough to throw the balance.
33%
 33%  [ 5 ]
Leave it as it is, OCing is not a problem.
13%
 13%  [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 15

Gareth
Admin 2

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2004 4:29 pm    Post subject: Overcharge Debate Reply with quote

Premise: Overcharging makes classes like cleric and mage a bit pointless to group with for most people, cause they can get as much of the own mana as they need through OC items.
Or at least, so some people claim.
Vote here with your opinion.
Ronin

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2004 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Death to overcharging. Hoohaw.
Balsa

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2004 5:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

seeing as i have 900 mana total and total heal costs 800 and i am given so many other spells to play with, it's the only way i CAN be useful, spellcasting wise. if you are gonna make the normal gear that everyone wears more manaful, then fine. i have no problem with it.
Alucard

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2004 6:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gareth mentioned he would be inclined to add 150 mana to items.

Also, you're not set to wear the same gear you have on now, Balsa. You might want to optomize to the situation.
Balsa

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2004 6:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like I said, if you are gonna change the mana count, I am all for it..you think i like changing my clothes all the time?
Palermo

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2004 7:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah, take out overcharging.. and while you're at it.. take out the where command Wink
Alucard

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2004 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alter where to clan only!
Gareth
Admin 2

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2004 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, the vote for removing overcharging altogether is a lot stronger than I'd anticipated.
Since one of the "120%" votes was my vote, and I've still had one or two people come to me online with the case for leaving it as it is, I might settle for maybe 105% or thereabouts (i.e. 50 hp overcharge on a 1000hp character) for the time being and work my way down to 100% over the coming months as people adjust to it.
Depending on how much a pain it is to code, of course. Twisted Evil
Norik

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2004 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

get rid of OC completely... why? if you get rid of OC, wearing items with 100+ mana/hp actually means something.
Wedge

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2004 1:11 am    Post subject: Abolish Reply with quote

I voted for abolishing it, but, to make it fair for the magic classes, how about giving them a bonus per level to mana based on class? Like Mages and Clerics get an automatic +10 mana per level, regardless of luck, int, and wis. Augurers, Monks, and Druids get like +5 or something? WarWizards get +20ish Paladins get +15. Just a thought.
Seph
Ghost 2

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2004 9:12 am    Post subject: OC Reply with quote

Personally, I dont really overcharge unless I'm going to fight someone ala pkill style who I know is going to ruin me, then I stock myself right up on the hitpoints.

I voted for the 120% overcharge, because the way I look at it, Balsa had a good point. And secondly, OC is sometimes very important for runs. We're going to have quite a few new areas in soon that are all just screaming for big groups to run them, but with the pbase being as unstable as it is right now, a mob that needs 8 people to kill might just have to be attempted by 5 beefed up brave souls.

On an aside to that note, I really dont want to see that 8av mob getting trounced by 4 REALLY overcharged people. Nor do I really want to see myself attack someone anytime soon only to have that wonderful (152%) pop up at the end of my prompt... really makes me grumpy sometimes.
Evil or Very Mad

K... it's 3:15 in the morning, and I have to be at work at 8:30... I'm going to bed now. Crying or Very sad

OH! While I'm here... G add me to your msn ddr_gavvd@canada.com... not the right place to be asking for that, but I'm tired and I have an idea that really needs pitching... and you'll be checking this forum more than you check your mudmail :p
Balsa

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2004 7:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wedge,
I don't think Pally's should get more than druids and the like. We are supposed to be half cleric half warrior (or so it seems to me) I would be happy with a +5 on my mana as well. Seeing as i didn't have enough mana to cast total heal when i first made Avatar made it kinda hard tho....
It was 900 at the time, to be fair.
Or. as Alucard said, +150 mana items that are worth wearing for anything besides an overcharge would work for me just fine. Let's face it, most heavy mana gear sucks!
Palermo

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2004 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Erm, let me see if I'm getting this right... keep OCing so that magic users can overload on mana? Why can't the magic users just _wear_ the eq that gives mana as normal eq?
Alucard

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2004 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's the point, Pal. People just aren't realizing it. It's to create equipment variety amongst the avatars. 'Oh nos, I don't get to wear the +lots/+lots hr/dr gear, I have to wear mana gear because I need to cast spells instead of do a bit more damage Sad'

That's the point of removing it... do you have any reason to group when qping, Balsa? I mean, you can fight and heal at the same time especially with overcharging.

Items with +150mana might be shitty items comparred to what's out there. Could be a ring with +150 mana on it... and that's it. Those with mana will need to decide whether to use it or not.
Norik

PostPosted: Fri Oct 22, 2004 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

right... if you remove OC, magic users have to decide between: gem of magic/eyes of txachamitxchual vs visions of chaos/order... 100 mana or hr/dr/etc
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Abandoned Codex Forum Index -> General All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: