Abandoned Codex Forum Index Abandoned Codex
The Abandoned Codex Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Hmm, alignments...?

View previous topic :: View next topic  

Slow down alignment change when killing mobs of same align?
Yes
75%
 75%  [ 6 ]
No
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Don't care
12%
 12%  [ 1 ]
Something else (specify below)
12%
 12%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 8

Palermo

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2004 8:40 am    Post subject: Hmm, alignments...? Reply with quote

It seems, for the most part, that most players don't follow their alignment well... Is there even a reason for align? I mean, many evil aligned people(not naming names cuz I''m guilty of this as well)during quests act as if they're good aligned and do nothing evil.. and the same with good aligned ppl doing evil things... maybe for the av tier system, a part of the requirements would be to RP your align as well with your char.. now, I will admit, ever since G took some of the anti-aligns off of some of the eq its gotten better, but there used to be a lot of evil ppl who were 'honorable' warriors, etc... which seems odd to me... and a lot of people don't really play real evil chars because, i'm guessing, they think they'll get more qp/quest eq, for being good aligned... and that if yer evil and try to say, fek xantheus over, you'll get nothing but everyone hating yer char hehe... I can think of a few chars that played _great_ evil chars, but a lot of them ended up as NPCs for the xantheans to kill.... if this doesn't make sense, im tired and am having multiple brain farts...sorry
Nightblade
Mud Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2004 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sometimes it's rather enjoyable to be hated by everyone....heheh...

"A kender will take anything that's not nailed down, and a kender with a good claw hammer will get those things too"
Wizzy

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2004 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i think one reason it's hard to act evil - in terms of actions - is because there's nothing to really do to really be evil.

if you're a "peaceful" character with an evil alignment there's not really anything you can't do anything to other players. other than maybe sit around and steal equipment when it drops - but then for anyone to really care it would have to be a powerful mob - and chances are you might not survive

if you're a "deadly" character with an evil alignment there's not really anything you can do unless the other person is within your level. but other than avatars that doesn't seem to happen much (plus doesn't Gareth not like pkilling?)

other than killing someone (which can be very restrictive) and maybe stealing some equipment when it drops (which you have to be around for), or talking trash - there's nothing evil to do

the way text muds are set up really don't give a character much versatility.

like you say "fek xantheus" over - i ask how? you can't kill anyone that's important or doesn't respawn... you can't steal anything (there's nothing to steal)... other than those two things what else could you do to be evil?

talking trash is really the only way to be "evil" on a text mud built like this.
Palermo

PostPosted: Sat Jun 26, 2004 3:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I disagree - if you play your character right, you could ally yourself with an enemy of xantheus and help them(ie - there's been some attacks against xantheus from drow... convince the drow you are an ally of theirs and would like to help their cause and maybe they'll accept you... from there there's many things a char could do to be "evil" and "fek xantheus over")

As far as being a peaceful char, you could still be evil and do things like the example above... i personally wouldn't do it with a peaceful char only because that's being a pussy...
Nightblade
Mud Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2004 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to say you lot are very unimaginative when it comes to being evil :p
Take it from someone who knows, being evil is in no way restricted to being an asshole. Wizzy, pretty much everything you said is really just the person behind the player trying to be a prick to everyone else. That's not evil. That's just annoying. Do something interesting to be evil, like Palermo said, try to align with the evil npcs in quests. Roleplaying is really where being evil counts. Hell, create havoc yourself. Let me give you a good example.

A while back before this new drow attack began, Cedrick and myself (Quakank) were bored and wanted to raise hell. So, we created our own false attack. We charmed every single drow we could and placed them throughout the city. Later, after a couple players found and killed them all, we posted a note, writen in the drow language. We then ransomed the city for the translation. We continued making random things up and trying to benefit from it. Hell, I conned Wedge out of an eyepatch from Djakiar for the translation...and it wasn't even quest related. It was all stuff Cedrick and myself made up off the top of our heads.

Granted, afterwards Unther took over and actually turned it into a real storyline....but in the beginning it was just an evil plot to gain loot and cash off gullible people...and it worked Razz

See, that's evil.

PS- Sorry bout that Wedge, I'm such an asshole Twisted Evil

"A kender will take anything that's not nailed down, and a kender with a good claw hammer will get those things too"
Nightblade
Mud Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2004 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, also...if you're looking for more random acts of evil, consider the actions of Waldo. He is the single most unloyal, untrustworthy guy on the mud. The sheer volume of pointless or otherwise acts of disloyalty and evil that he's committed is astounding.....Brings a tear to my eye really....

Waldo

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2004 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank's Nightblade. It is good to know that people appreciate me. Being evil is tons of fun. Lie to everyone you meet and always change your mind. Help someone level and then get bored and charm some agressive mobs and set them loose to really test their skill. There's all sorts of fun evil things you can do on AC, but you have to put up with the retaliation, which can be fun too. I only wish I had time to play but mabye around winter time I can spread some more havoc.
Wedge

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2004 6:05 am    Post subject: Heh Reply with quote

Meh, it happens, Night. Wedge is a very trusting guy. But if Unther took it and made a real quest out of it, were you really being evil, or did the Drow really attack and post those notes? Interesting paradox, aye?
Nightblade
Mud Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jul 09, 2004 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm, I'm sure there's something that doesn't fit from my supposed drow attack, but since I can't remember half of the crap I said, I guess we'll never know Smile

Gareth
Admin 2

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 12:40 pm    Post subject: Alignment system change? Reply with quote

How would people feel about the idea of making alignment a bit more resistant to change?
i.e. once you're evil, it would take a lot more goodly activity to move your alignment than it does at the moment (and vice versa).
As far as I can tell,
Advantages: People might be more willing to play their alignment if it wasn't hopping all over the shop, and antialign eq would zap a lot less often.
Disadvantages: Maybe some people like to be able to shift alignments for exp/qping purposes... dunno to what extent that's true or not though.

Thoughts/opinions?
Vicks

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I never quite got the point of having an alignment "stat". It seems kind of lame to me that you get more or less qps/exp from something based on your alignement; after all, you're using the same skills regardless, and therefore should be improving the same amount in each, regardless of the mobs alignment. The answer I always get to this is "Well, so-and-so shouldn't be killing 'good' creatures, since so-and-so is 'good' themselves." But does it really make sense to be able to go out and kill 100,000,000 honorable town guards, then kill 8 or 9 crappy little goblins south of town and have the game recognize you as a 'good' person who's 'Pure of heart'?. Always seemed kind of unrealistic to me. Having an alignment stat basically links RP and gameplay in a way that can't be separated ... on a MUD where roleplay is encouraged but not forced, it seems a bit extreme to me, especially with all the "logical" problems that already exist with it.
Gareth
Admin 2

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I were to design a mud from scratch I would do alignment differently. However, the amount of work that would be required to fundamentally change the concept is more than I think the gains are worth.
So, assuming for a moment that the -1000 to +1000 alignment system is here to stay, shall I take that as a vote in favour of slowing alignment swings down?
Gareth
Admin 2

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vicks wrote:
you're using the same skills regardless, and therefore should be improving the same amount in each,

I disagree. If experience is something gained equally by typing the same command again and again in any old place, the game becomes even _more_ of a treadmill. Experience isn't just a reflection of the fact that you hit something 10 times and kicked it twice, it's a reward for completing a meaningful act. And attacking targets relevant to your character's background and philosophies is very much a part of that. If anything, alignment should affect gains more, not less.
Yes, there's a lot of people that don't pay attention to their alignment when RPing, but you're trying to solve the wrong problem there.
Gareth
Admin 2

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

okay, who voted "something else (specify below)" without specifying below?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Abandoned Codex Forum Index -> General All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: