Abandoned Codex Forum Index Abandoned Codex
The Abandoned Codex Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Custom Class?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wizzy

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2004 2:44 pm    Post subject: Custom Class? Reply with quote

perhaps this is the stupidest idea you've ever heard... but what about this

each skill in the game is given a number value. the number value is based on the strength and usefullness of the spell

a person creates a new character (custom class) and is given a certain amount of "skill points". they can then create a custom class and use the skill points to "purchase" skills. People could build classes that are more personalized and give flavor... they can enter the name of the class (perhaps with your approval only). Then let them choose a normal race, and do their rolls.... so basically everything is normal - except somehow the person gets to choose their skills... (there would have to be a way of making it so that certain skills are at certain levels. perhaps there's a "level" number next to a skill and that's the level you gain it at - so people know).

Like in Diablo II - you have a large amount of skills (based on class, not all of them) and you gain skill points. Except in this you put only one into a skill...
Nightblade
Mud Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2004 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, too many posts Razz Since you aren't just keeping to one thread, I'll post my summary here. Everything that you're suggesting technically could be wonderful ideas. But really, the core of it ends up being, you're basically asking Gareth to change the entire mud. If he's going to act on those ideas, I really don't think we'll have Abandoned Codex anymore. Now, who knows what Gareth is throwing around in his head for TA, if he still plans on creating that, but perhaps your ideas might already exist in his mind. But as it is, making all these changes to the mud right now would honestly be a lot more work than it's worth, and pretty much change the entire mud as a whole.

"A kender will take anything that's not nailed down, and a kender with a good claw hammer will get those things too"
Wizzy

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2004 11:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

trying to get some talk going Wink not enough posts (i like to keep em separate)

but yeah - they are pretty extreme. What's TA? i've not heard of this.

but i do agree they would change the mud pretty heavily... but i don't think that's a bad thing. Is TA another MUD he's thinking of? i remember he was going to make another one before but ended up not.
Gareth
Admin 2

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2004 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wrote a really long and detailed reply to this and accidentally closed my browser before submitting. Sad
The general gist of it was:
- there's _tons_ of muds out there that have customization
- customization goes against the concept of the Class as a Profession (Clerics whose gameplay models that of a Cleric, Thieves whose gameplay models that of a Thief, etc) that I'm trying to work towards achieving, as per the other 'class' thread.
- In an ideal world, or in a mud that I restarted from beginning, I'd have customization within the class structure, most likely implemented by making the number of practices available be less than the number of skills and spells available. However, it's a bit late to do that on Abandoned Codex without upsetting everyone.
Nightblade
Mud Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2004 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Who knows what's going on in Gareth's head Wink

"A kender will take anything that's not nailed down, and a kender with a good claw hammer will get those things too"
Palermo

PostPosted: Sat Jun 19, 2004 7:36 am    Post subject: hmm Reply with quote

This is a pretty late response to Wizzy's post, but yeah, Night, you're right... if G we're to do what he suggested(and it does sound cool) we would all be playing a different MUD. heh...

Now, G, what's so wrong with upsetting everyone?! Hehe, I think most of the 'main' players that actually take time to actually play and not read notes and leave would get mad, but they would get over it and still play... I mean, most of the main players have gotten mad about _something_ and swore they'd never play again, but they end up coming back anyways!!! hehehe
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Abandoned Codex Forum Index -> Ramblings All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: