Abandoned Codex Forum Index Abandoned Codex
The Abandoned Codex Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Personal ideas
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nightblade
Mud Admin

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2003 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree that there should be some way for the peacefuls of SoN to aid their deadly counterparts, but removing the grouping restrictions on them doesn't seem like a very good idea. Seems like it would be too much work what with having to code the auto disbanding and all that. But the silly Fear of deadly player message removal seems like a pretty good idea. The peacefuls of SoN ought to be used to deadlies since they're in the same clan, shouldn't they? I think allowing the SoN peacefuls to cast spells on their deadly clanmates is a pretty good plan, but perhaps make it something that doesn't kick in until a later level?

"A kender will take anything that's not nailed down, and a kender with a good claw hammer will get those things too"
Palermo

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2003 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

not only should the "fear of pkillers" be removed from SoN, it should just be taken out. Think about it... why would an Avatar fear a level 20 char? Umm, they wouldn't... hehe
Gareth
Admin 2

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2004 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't mind changing the 'fear of the pkiller' message itself, cause it never sat comfortably with me. Suggestions?
It's a tough decision on whether to take the actual feature out or not - because it was something that was originally put in under pressure from players when certain pkillers kept peaceful healers with them as they went round pk'ing people. This is particularly bad when you have a level 20 deadly who's pretty much invincible because he's got a peaceful av backing him up, and there's nothing anyone (including the other avs) can do about it.
Nightblade
Mud Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2004 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That example you gave Gareth brings up a point that I've been more than a bit annoyed with for quite a while now. The laws of deadly players restrict any help during a pkfight from a DEADLY player outside the 6 level range. What I never understood was why are deadly players not allowed to heal their allies in combat when they are outside the range, and yet any old peaceful can do whatever the heck he or she wants?

Strangely enough I've rarely taken advantage of this little loophole, but it has always been annoying. As it is, if you simply edit that rule to include peaceful players (outside the range or in general since they can't be attacked) then you can pretty much remove the feature. Of course this brings up other thoughts, such as whether peacefuls should be allowed to heal a deadly player while he is in combat or not, and so on and so forth, but I'll leave that up to you to decide.

Btw, strangely enough I rarely ever saw deadlies taking advantage of this. How long ago was this that players pressured you to put it in?

"A kender will take anything that's not nailed down, and a kender with a good claw hammer will get those things too"
Gareth
Admin 2

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2004 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting point.
My gut instinct is to close it up so that peacefuls can't heal pk-fighting people regardless, though I'll certainly have a think about whether to open the pk system up a bit more.
It's always a tough decision, because although on one hand we can go for 6 months with everyone playing reasonably, every now and then you do get a malicious uber-clique that do whatever it takes to notch up the kills - and that's when otherwise good people get upset. Such is the lot of the admin, I guess - you're damned if you do and you're damned if you don't. Sad
Nightblade
Mud Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2004 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yea, that tends to be how things work when you're dealing with a mass of people. Very Happy

Quote:
My gut instinct is to close it up so that peacefuls can't heal pk-fighting people regardless,

Does that mean pkers who are currently in combat, or deadly players in general?? If you stop the peacefuls from healing pkers in combat, very little bad can come of it. It will stop some of those malicious evil chaps from abusing something, and I don't see much that people could complain about. If you're talking in general...well I don't think you're talking in general cause that really would upset a lot of people.

Quote:
though I'll certainly have a think about whether to open the pk system up a bit more.

Open it up more how so? If you mean to let other deadlies heal in pvp combat no matter their level, I'm going to have to complain Razz

Wedge

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2004 10:51 pm    Post subject: Yup Reply with quote

For what it's worth, I always liked the idea of mixed peaceful/deadly groups myself. I never really understood why you couldn't group with them if you wanted to. The whole pkilling aspect would be pretty bothersome I imagine, and the whole thing would probably be tough from a coding stand-point, but I'm curious to hear from Gareth.
Wedge

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2004 10:55 pm    Post subject: whoops Reply with quote

I posted that when I thought tehre was just one page to that thread. Anywho, what I said basically still stands, so far as peacefuls not being able to heal deadlies in a pkill fight seems fine to be, so long as in quests the admin start using mobs more instead of NPCs as the main protagonists. That's always annoying for us peacefuls, 'cause we want to fight 'em too, but can't; plus we wouldn't be able to heal our deadly friends who were trying to kill said NPC. For instance, back when the deadlies were fighting Cegfuin, I just had to sit by and watch.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Abandoned Codex Forum Index -> General All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: