Abandoned Codex Forum Index Abandoned Codex
The Abandoned Codex Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Levelling easier, make the av game the 'true game'?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  

Levelling to av easier?
Yes, substatially
50%
 50%  [ 4 ]
Yes, a little
25%
 25%  [ 2 ]
No
25%
 25%  [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 8

Seph
Ghost 2

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2006 3:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok... time for my four cents.
We've been over this, but I'm gunna beat this fucker till she dont work no more.

Mages = suck.
Illus = suck unless you want equipment really quickly.
Druids = suck for the most part, especially hard to level.
Clerics = hard to level too, bloody glad theres temples.

Now I can get me a warrior or thief from 0 to bazillion in about half an hour, the rest of the classes are a lil slower, but the magic users are bloody pipedreams. Honestly, I've dated a curler before. She took me to a few of her tournaments. Anyone ever watched curling before? Ever watched 7 hours of it a day for three weekends? Yeah, that beats leveling flipping magic users. (On a side note, yes, the sex was infact worth it.) Anyway, once you do av them you discover, much to the dismay of you and 50 of your closest friends, that they suck. Plain. Simple. Suck.
Now follow me here...

Say a strong cleric, like Neq, and a not-quite av thief, say Ryune, are walking around one day. Wouldnt ya know it, Ryune being a level 77 thief jackass with 1300hp and around 80hr/dr makes some leud comment about Neq's mother, and Neq's not having any of it. In my mind a cleric thats as well equipped and qp'd as Neq should have atleast a good fighting chance of holding his own, especially since he got first shot in.

In reality, although Neq's good when he's behind the power rangers and their pet ghost-tank type thing, I'm pretty sure it'd be a 3-4 round fight, even considering that Neq's got a really good spellup base and can heal himself pretty well. Why? Because clerics cant hit shit to save a kitten from the Manson family, and although they can heal, they cant do much else even with the mighty necro touch. Does this make them useless? No, back in the day they were a necessity, when we had lots of avs running around inappropriately touching whatever we could get our hands on. Now, however, in the days of one or two people online, I think we could credit them with a little more oomphskada, just to give them a point to play other than follow the meatshield, because that dosent happen much anymore.

And dont even get me started on mages...

My thoughts, not yours.
-Seph
Seph
Ghost 2

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2006 3:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh...

the chambers stuff in water, I nominate all of them AND their children.
and your goddam scrap my flipping boots of leviathan flipping acid blob repop so you cant do shit cuz theyres five of them and one of you so you're fucked and then runs over honey take the movies back thing.
Gareth
Admin 2

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2006 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was more after stuff in levelling areas, Seph. I believe both Chambers and the Under-the-Battleground-Tunnel were designed as multi-av run areas from the get-go.
Gareth
Admin 2

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2006 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, here's the latest round of changes:

- Kill buffers marginally loosened. Not by much though.
- Murtelp in Pentir City now randomly sells crimson crystals for mages to cast their more powerful combat spells with.
- The frequency of Zorian's heal potion shipments has been doubled.
- Mages now have Galvanic Fervour. Which I think is nice, although it'll probably have a 'sweet spot' at some as-yet undetermined level. It's basically designed for special cases where magic isn't quite cutting it for whatever reason (e.g. the mob is immune to magic), and they need to go into 'combat mode' - hence the high mana cost and low affect duration.
Seph
Ghost 2

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2006 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ima level my mage now, or atleast try to.
Gareth
Admin 2

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2006 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

- Mages expbase have been shaved slightly, Druid expbase reduced a bit more. Not sure what (if anything) to do about Illusionists, since they actually seem to get pretty decent hp gains and thac0 compared to some of their magical brethren. Maybe I'll just keep focussing on their actual spells rather than the figures.

How about a pwipe? That should make things interesting.
Seph
Ghost 2

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2006 3:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im laughing, really I am.
Cant you hear me laugh?
Vicks

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2006 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One thing I've found at times (especially when leveling chars that don't have the abilitity to heal themselves) is that for every 5 minutes you spend leveling, you spend another 10 or so sleeping off the damage you take. Maybe making ticks give slightly more hp/mana to sleeping/resting chars would cut down on the "lost time" people tend to spend on the MUD.
Gareth
Admin 2

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2006 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's not the first time I've heard that. I'm not entirely sure about it; this mud actually does have a much higher heal rate than stock smaug already, and of course there's the pay healer and the modifications to 'regular' healers to boost the amount they heal.

I suppose I could nudge it up a tiny amount.
Gareth
Admin 2

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2006 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, the bit I've changed is the Constitution bonus for Sleeping.
This means no change for awake or resting people.
It also increases the usefulness of Con as a day-to-day stat.
The other 'newbie-friendly' aspect to this is that the con bonus is linear (i.e. it's the same amount no matter what your level), so while you avs probably won't notice too much difference, it'll certainly be noticeable for those with double-digit hitpoints.

I've also raised the minimum amount that Movement points regenerate at from 15 to 20, cause while I am slowly finding uses for mv at high levels (especially in remort classes) it's still really annoying if you're low level and have to keep sleeping just in order to walk round the block a few times.
neq

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 6:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

does that mean mana regenerates faster also?
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Gareth
Admin 2

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No.
neq

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2006 5:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That blows Sad

G I think you should be mean and make it so people hp regen slower that way I have something to do. Just joking cause I don't feel like having to run and Hide when Vicks decide to pk me ... multiple times LOL
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Gareth
Admin 2

PostPosted: Mon Jul 31, 2006 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Latest round of newbie-friendly changes is to make the Xantheus pay healer only charge people who are level 20 or below 1,000 gold for a cure light, instead of 5,500. (And thanks to Jarvik for that suggestion.)
Also the free 'adept' healers will cast 5 levels higher than they used to (i.e. +3hp - not much I know, but they've already been boosted once this year).
Seph
Ghost 2

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 3:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Water dragon in lair of the gorgons give me 0 exp as my level 63 cleric. Yet, dispite sanc and protect and resist cold and very good equipment for my level he mangles and maims me and I take off 2-3% per hit, which averages out to be like 0.8 per round.

Anyone else with the same issue?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Abandoned Codex Forum Index -> General All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6

Jump to: