Abandoned Codex Forum Index Abandoned Codex
The Abandoned Codex Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Levelling easier, make the av game the 'true game'?
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  

Levelling to av easier?
Yes, substatially
50%
 50%  [ 4 ]
Yes, a little
25%
 25%  [ 2 ]
No
25%
 25%  [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 8

Gareth
Admin 2

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2006 12:11 pm    Post subject: Levelling easier, make the av game the 'true game'? Reply with quote

This is in reference to the 'Future?' thread elsewhere on this forum. Read it before voting.
The question is, should expbases be cut down so that *average* players can av in 50 hours, with the 'av game' considered to be the 'true game'?

Pros: No clue, but some of you seem to like it
Cons: Is there really enough content to keep the increased number of avs happy? We'd basically be condemning half the areas on the mud to hardly ever getting played.
Also some of the avs that made av the 'hard way' might feel a bit cheated.

Anyhow, vote, and say why you voted the way you did. Also note that this only applies to levelling, not how easy the av game is.
Nightblade
Mud Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2006 2:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I noticed no one posted as Gareth said, so I'll go first.

I voted no. I mean, leveling really isn't THAT hard to begin with. I see no reason for the difficulty to be lowered and I really don't think that has anything to do with our declining playerbase. I don't see any pro to making the leveling process easier beyond allowing people to have a shit ton of alt avatar chars which itself won't be a great thing because people will start using them as mules and "twinking" their avatars with eq gained via a stronger av. Making it so the av game is really the true game seems completely absurd. Take Guild Wars for example. 20 levels and it's damn easy to reach level 20. Fine. But they have ongoing guild battles and the like to keep people interested and a skill system which allows for a huge amount of variance in builds of the same class. Also, all the classes are perfectly balanced and the battles come down to working as a team and how your builds are setup to take down the enemy and how the enemy's builds are setup to take care of you.

In Abandoned Codex however, we have this absurd distribution of power. Hugely powerful avatars which continually grow in strength to points previously unheard of. Hell, I can remember playing when Alucard was around and was clearly the strongest player in the game. Now, a pretty high number of avatars could drop Alu with ease. This increasing power can be seen in how avatar areas are getting harder and harder to keep the stronger avs in check, thus leaving the weaker avs at a disadvantage. That problem is, in my opinion, one of the biggest problems and the catalyst for other problems. It's not going to be fixed by making avatar easier to reach.

I personally think one of the problems with not keeping people playing in the lower and midrange levels is that our quest content really isn't geared toward them often enough. Sure, leveling and pking and whatever is enjoyable at times, but what really keeps people here (in my opinion), is the ongoing RP and storylines. In order to really take part in these however, players need to be avatars. Yes, the easier to reach av would help fix this, but it's just going to introduce more problems.

If leveling is going to be made easier and the avgame turned into the 'real game' more needs to be done to support this. It's not going to get by on just questpoint accumulation. Also, since much more time would be spent on avatars, we'll have a much higher percentage of hugely powerful avs running around. Namely what I'm concerned about is 20 Amens or worse blasting thru the place and fouling up things. I know there are caps for some stats. What happens when those caps are broken?

Simply put, I'm not a fan of making leveling easier, but if it is to be done then something else has to be done too.

"A kender will take anything that's not nailed down, and a kender with a good claw hammer will get those things too"
Vicks

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2006 3:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rather than any sweeping overhauls, I'd suggest little things ... like taking out the kill buffer, taking parry off of certain mobs, etc. It'd be pretty hard to argue that EXP isn't *a lot* harder to come by than it was 5 years ago.
Vicks

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2006 3:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Now, a pretty high number of avatars could drop Alu with ease.

It took like 7 of us ... and it only happened once to my knowledge Razz
Nightblade
Mud Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2006 6:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vicks wrote:
Quote:
Now, a pretty high number of avatars could drop Alu with ease.

It took like 7 of us ... and it only happened once to my knowledge Razz

I'm talking about current avatars being strong enough to defeat Alu one v one.

"A kender will take anything that's not nailed down, and a kender with a good claw hammer will get those things too"
Gareth
Admin 2

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2006 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vicks wrote:
Rather than any sweeping overhauls, I'd suggest little things ... like taking out the kill buffer

The kill buffer is there to reduce the treadmillyness of the mud - people do complain about it a lot but I don't see what advantages removing it would have. Other than to make it quicker to level (albeit by killing the same mob repeatedly - boring!). Perhaps there's some point I've been missing?
Anyhow, by some small measure of compromise, I've lessened its effect by a few percent. But I'm still not convinced that you're not trying to solve the wrong problem by calling for its removal.

Quote:
taking parry off of certain mobs.

I am going to sound like such a broken record here, but: If You Think There's Specific Mobs That Are Inappropriately Hard For Their Level/Eq/Status, Tell Me And I'll Look At It. I mean really. Just go out there and find some. Really. Do it. I'm waiting.
Vicks

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2006 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
albeit by killing the same mob repeatedly - boring!

Why does it matter if you feel the way people are choosing to play the game is "boring"? They probably don't feel that way or they wouldn't be approaching the game that way. When people get bored they don't level faster; they log off Wink
Gareth
Admin 2

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2006 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not entirely sure what point you're trying to make there. I've still to see any sort of convincing argument against kill buffers.

And killing the same mob over and over _IS_ boring. It's something people do to get levels faster _in spite_ of it being repetitive and mindless, not _because_ of it.
Vicks

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2006 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd rather have people logging to get levels faster than not logging at all.
Gareth
Admin 2

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2006 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vicks, that's the Godwin's Law of mud debating you've just tripped. Don't make me have to start yet another thread in order to get us back on track.

(oh, and I'm _still_ waiting on some nominations for overstatted mobs from you :p )
Gareth
Admin 2

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2006 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

(for those of you unfamiliar with the concept, it runs something along the lines of, if anyone presents "You should do X because then there will be more players" as though it consisted a valid argument in favour of X, they're officially out of proper reasons and should abandon the thread.)
Vicks

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2006 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, to be perfectly honest, I never found it more exciting to kill two different level 50 mobs than the same level 50 mob twice. How about instead of a buffer that penalizes people who kill the same mobs, a buffer that *rewards* people for killing different mobs?

As for the mob thing, to be honest I've given you mobs before and wasn't all that impressed with the "downgraded" versions of them ... most of them seem to kick about as much ass as they did before. I just didn't want to bitch about it. Razz
Gareth
Admin 2

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2006 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vicks wrote:
Well, to be perfectly honest, I never found it more exciting to kill two different level 50 mobs than the same level 50 mob twice.

Argument by Misrepresentation. How about the same mob 300 times? 3000 times?

Quote:
As for the mob thing, to be honest I've given you mobs before and wasn't all that impressed with the "downgraded" versions of them ...

I said I'd look at them. I make no guarantee about what I'd do to them. Keep trying, maybe some day you'll get one you like.
Nightblade
Mud Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2006 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Although I don't entirely support Vicks' idea of making leveling easier, I feel the need to offer him support: (this is taken from the other 'Future?' thread)
Quote:
Gareth: That said, it is true that there's a massive discrepancy between the rates at which different people level (ignoring class balance). So any suggestions on what that particular state of affairs might be would be, well, listened to.
More to the point, I'd interested in getting rid of anything that might exist along the lines of what happened to me on another mud I played a few weeks back that had no 'recall', movement points regenerated at about 8 a minute at level 2, and I was stuck in an area for half an hour only being able to move at a rate of 4 rooms per minute (moving cost 2 for some reason). I eventually got out by just letting myself get killed. So basically what I'm getting at is, are there any particularly frustrating treadmills that exist at lower levels that have been overlooked?

Firstly, the kill buffer seems to me to be one of these treadmills. I understand its purpose and why its there, but all it actually accomplishes is to make people waste time blasting through weaker mobs in order to reset their buffer so they can get back to killing what they had been in the first place. From my own experience and that of my friends who I've watched playing the game, once we find the most efficient mob(s) for our level (i.e. the easiest to kill with the most xp granted) we stick with it. Once the xp starts declining, we blast thru gnomes or goblins and go back to it. In this instance, the kill buffer is simply making it so the real newbies have nothing to kill and we're just wasting time going thru the motions in order to get back to the real leveling.

Secondly, I think it's important to take class into consideration in this discussion. The kill buffer is supposed to make you go out and kill different things, rather than the same thing over and over. But I think we can all agree that just because mobs are the same level they aren't necessarily equal in their ease for specific classes to kill. Some are more difficult for thieves, some harder for mages, etc. If one of these classes finds a mob of sufficient level that it can kill, why should it be forced to go try and fight something that is going to bust up its equipment and make it lay down at the clan healer for 15 minutes? This does come back to you point of overpowered mobs, Gareth, but not entirely so. Some mobs simply have resistances that make it hard for certain classes to take down. The real solution to THIS specific problem would simply be to create more varied areas for specific level ranges.

Anyway, that's my take on the killbuffer.

Gareth
Admin 2

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2006 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

See, Vicks? That was a proper argument :p
Thank you, Nightblade. I'll take it under advisement.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Abandoned Codex Forum Index -> General All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6

Jump to: