Abandoned Codex Forum Index Abandoned Codex
The Abandoned Codex Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

New Website

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gareth
Admin 2

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2006 10:09 pm    Post subject: New Website Reply with quote

Took me 5 bloody days and nobody's said a thing. Compliment me, dammit! Or better still, submit entries for out-of-date or missing files like clans, stories and players. And if anyone fancies writing some answers for the FAQs, go for it.
Nightblade
Mud Admin

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2006 12:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm..... missing something apparently... I don't see any difference?

"A kender will take anything that's not nailed down, and a kender with a good claw hammer will get those things too"
Gareth
Admin 2

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2006 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.abandonedcodex.net

It's all in php now, so it's possible that if you'd bookmarked it as ".../index.html" you'd see the old site.

Edit: weirdly, when I clicked that just then, it brought the old site up, presumably from a cache or something. Hitting 'refresh' fixed it.
Nightblade
Mud Admin

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2006 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOH.

Yea, I had it bookmarked, and that link also brought up the old one for me.

Looks much better and more exciting than the old. Good job! I like the new updated info and stuff. Gives me new crap to look at.

"A kender will take anything that's not nailed down, and a kender with a good claw hammer will get those things too"
Norik

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2006 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a big chunk of the MUD mapped in zMUD, and if you guys want, I can start submitting maps to new website. The only thing that I am concerned about is that, if enough areas are mapped and everyone can see them, no one will explore new areas or whatnot.

I'm thinking that putting maps of lowbie areas (lvls 1-20) up on the website would be good, but anything beyond that would take away from the gameplay.

G, whats your take on all this?
Seph
Ghost 2

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2006 4:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finally got the new website up.
Nice! Smile
Kudos!
Gareth
Admin 2

PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2006 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Norik wrote:
I have a big chunk of the MUD mapped in zMUD, and if you guys want, I can start submitting maps to new website. The only thing that I am concerned about is that, if enough areas are mapped and everyone can see them, no one will explore new areas or whatnot.

I'm thinking that putting maps of lowbie areas (lvls 1-20) up on the website would be good, but anything beyond that would take away from the gameplay.

G, whats your take on all this?

I agree with the sentiment of not mapping too much, especially at mid-high level.

My favourite kind of map in terms of content is the 'arty' one like http://www.abandonedcodex.net/pueblo/waldomap.gif or http://www.abandonedcodex.net/pueblo/ac_map_2.jpg - helps people along, but still requires them to read, think, and explore.

It'd be an interesting experiment I think to take a zMud-generated room layout map and use it to trace a less detailed hand-made one. Either have the zMud map as the bottom layer in illustrator/photoshop and remove it at the end, or the more old-fashioned method of print it out, trace its broad outline in pencil, draw it all out indicating major landmarks (but not every last room and exit), and scan it back in. Anyone up for that?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Abandoned Codex Forum Index -> General All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: