Abandoned Codex Forum Index Abandoned Codex
The Abandoned Codex Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Questions...

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ronin

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2003 8:45 am    Post subject: Questions... Reply with quote

In case few of you hadn't noticed, I've been out of the loop for quite a while. Upon returning, I've got a couple of questions.

1) When was the level cap added to elemental canyon? It was one of my favorite QPing areas.
2) How many times has Olympus been upped? (Just out of curiosity).
3) What are/where are the requirements for avatar 2? help [what] ?
Gareth
Admin 2

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2003 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1) The Canyon level cap was added the same time as the "gold harvesting" areas were modified and/or capped. Basically what I'm trying to achieve is to make gold be worth something again so that it can be used to buy things of real in-game value; before the changes were made we had a situation where an avatar could spend 5 minutes out of every hour blasting through the areas designed for levels 1-30 and taking several million gold each time.
Naturally this sucked for the lowbies, and it sucked for the game mechanics.
Elemental Canyon is on the list of things that need replacing for theme, incidentally, if any builders want to tackle it.

2) I have noooo idea. I wish I'd never put the stupid area in, it's been nothing but trouble from day one. I'll repeat again what I've said in other threads though: if you want to complain about mobs being upstatted, think first about what mobs realistically need downstatting for being _too_ powerful (note that this doesn't apply to actual 'boss' mobs or anything that's level 80-something). I've downstatted dozens of mobs in the last month and am perfectly willing to do more.

3) They keep changing. There's a qp cost payable immediately before taking it, but the waiting list is several months long at the moment. If you're capable of hitting the top 20 without needing other players to artificially reduce their scores to 'let you in' then mudmail me and I'll add you to the list.
Talinn

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2003 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

avatar II is a great test. If you know your areas, history, class and race information, etc... you should do well. Just know how to get to every single area too, that helps.

In my opinion everyone should try out for av2!!!

(That way I can try for av3 and get an av2 chat) Smile

jander
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Artemis

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2003 5:38 pm    Post subject: A thought on gold... Reply with quote

If you have someone who wants to take the time, have them go through each area, and change the gold on the mobs to a more realistic amount... like 50-100 on the wealthy type... and 30-50 on middle class type... and 0-10 for the poor type... I say this because if you think about it, who can actually carry 10000 gold coins on them? 10000 gold coins is probably the amount that someone would find in a dragons hoard along with other treasures... Also, the treasures would become more valuable, and people could not only use money/equipment for trade, but can use treasures as well. I've collected a few treasures, but can't ever sell them because no jeweler can afford them. If the gold was down, eventually it would work... I think maybe.. I'm not sure. Of course, you'd have to find someone who would do it, because it could take quite a while on area's with a large amount of mobs.

"You feel the emptiness. The hopelessness. You know that I hold not only your life, but your very soul in my hands."
Gareth
Admin 2

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2003 12:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Of course, whoever did it would also have to change all the object values on all the objects as well, to stop easy-to-get things being worth thousands...
It's very rare for money to be well-balanced on a combat-based mud, because at the end of the day, someone who's level 10 can generally beat 10 times the number of level 6 mobs in the space of time that a level 6 character can - therefore the value of money becomes exponentially lower by a factor of 10. The xp gained from the kill is recomputed to account for this, but the amount of gold isn't.
There's various ways round it, of course - a theoretical money-balanced mud might have very little money gains from looting freshly killed bodies and have the bulk come from level-based automated missions / quests, or even an IC salary of sorts. Something worth thinking about for Third Age, if it ever happens. :]
Artemis

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2003 2:34 am    Post subject: Third Age? Reply with quote

I haven't been around too long so I don't know what that is... can someone explain?

"You feel the emptiness. The hopelessness. You know that I hold not only your life, but your very soul in my hands."
Gareth
Admin 2

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2003 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's the theoretical dream mud that I've been planning for the last 4 years but never quite found time to implement.
Artemis

PostPosted: Fri Nov 14, 2003 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting... hopefully you find time to implement it... I'd love to play a new MUD.

Nightblade
Mud Admin

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2003 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey speaking of Third Age...does that note on BP still hold true? If you don't recall, here's the note for your convenience:
Quote:
[ 29] Gareth: third age work
Tue Jul 2 18:55:47 2002
To: Builders
Note/mail/email/icq me if you want to be assigned a task related to
the construction of Third Age.

Thanks
Gareth

I remember I did what you asked to one of the areas but I don't think you ever said anything else about it. I'm almost finished with my current project so I'd be willing to take up whatever you need done if you still have any interest in doing that Very Happy

"A kender will take anything that's not nailed down, and a kender with a good claw hammer will get those things too"
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Abandoned Codex Forum Index -> General All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: