Abandoned Codex Forum Index Abandoned Codex
The Abandoned Codex Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Why not Join Nonla?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wedge

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2004 8:04 pm    Post subject: Why not Join Nonla? Reply with quote

Ok, I'm just curious as to why everyone has a huge aversion to Nonla Arahnala. Most people seem to think it's "lame" and has too many regulations. Please voice some of these in a reasonable manner, clearly explained, so I can see if there's anything I can do to encourage membership. Thanks!
Nightblade
Mud Admin

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2004 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That you force your members to not have interactions with deadlies mainly. I mean, think about it. You can't accept deadlies into your clan right? So you lose a large part of the player base there. But then you say your members can't have interactions with deadly. Just because a person is peaceful doesn't mean they want to be forced away from participating with deadlies and dealing with them. Add that into the fact that I think the entire point of the clan is hypocritical. Nonla is supposed to be all about bringing peace and such, yes? But you can't have interactions with deadlies. How are you supposed to bring peace when you can't interact with deadlies? The majority of the violence is between Forsaken and Ira. Don't even try arguing that you're allowed to help settle that because I remember distinctly being yelled at when Elstin and I were trying to help bring peace between the clans. WE WERE TOLD TO STOP TRYING TO BRING PEACE. See, this just doesn't make sense to me, and even though this kind of sounds like me personally bashing the clan (which it isn't, because if it was I would go off like a madman), I'm quite sure that this type of fact has occurred to a lot of people. Really, the peaceful vampires go to SoN, because simply stated, it makes more sense, and SoN is more fun. The rest of the peacefuls see Nonla as a rule-happy, restriction based clan that tends to be more hypocritical than helpful. In my eyes I see Nonla as that 'organization of peaceful people to bring peace to all' in books that goes horribly overboard and turns into the evil the represses the masses. Honestly.

"A kender will take anything that's not nailed down, and a kender with a good claw hammer will get those things too"
Wedge

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2004 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply Reply with quote

Thanks Night. I definately agree that in the past Nonla has had too many restrictions. Apparently everyone is being mis-lead in this regard. Members of Nonla are not completely forbidden to interact with deadlies, they are forbidden to interact with deadlies in such a way that leads to a pfight or pkilling. Mayln may disagree with me on this point, but I'm going to try and push it through anyway. As for striving for peace, you're right in that regard as well. We can't accomplish this goal if we stay out of the doings and wars of deadlies. I'm sure you have seen me propose many times to get Ira and Saken to draw up an agreement of sorts for peace, even if only under certain circumstances. Nonla members are forbidden, however, to chose sides in a clan war. Now, rp'd wars with mob characters (i.e. this war against Fane/Drow) are another story. A member of Nonla should obviously choose the 'Good' side. I hope this clears some things up for everyone. Our motto is to lead by example, can't do that if you never help anyone, right? Thanks, Night for your response.
Gareth
Admin 2

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2004 12:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Should Nonla really take one side or another versus the Drow?
(It's a genuine question, I'm not trying to sway you one way or another)
Wedge

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2004 12:26 am    Post subject: Response Reply with quote

Gareth,

Maybe all Drow would be a gross stereotype. It would be fair to say, just the Drow that are agressive against Xantheus (i.e. Jalharluth and whichever ones seem to enjoy attacking us to get to the Inchoation). So no, Nonla should take a peaceful attitude toward any group of people until they attack. Still, Nonlies should prefer a peaceful means over war, but if our home is threatened, I have every expectation for Nonla to fight for it.
Nightblade
Mud Admin

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2004 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
with deadlies in such a way that leads to a pfight or pkilling.

Since...? A few days ago?

Quote:
I'm sure you have seen me propose many times to get Ira and Saken to draw up an agreement of sorts for peace, even if only under certain circumstances.

Yes, I do recall seeing a single note asking that you be allowed to act as a mediator in a peace agreement, but what of it? You posted a single note, and never persued the subject. The clans still war and you haven't shown any interest in stopping it besides a single note. That's not exactly many times, nor is it exactly showing that you are willing to help. See, this is what I'm talking about. You propose things then never do anything about it. It's as if you're just proposing it to seem like you care, but it's just a courtesy, there's nothing behind it. That's why people don't want to join Nonla. It doesn't DO anything.

Also, I'd like to ask what the difference is between killing a player and killing the town guards, or slaughtering the priests of the town, or simply war against NPC enemies. When it comes to RP, I see no real difference. I realize this is kind of an unfair argument, but you have to think about it. What's the difference? Two clans, WITHIN the city warring, compared to an OUTSIDE enemy. And yet you chose to NOT deal with the war inside the city? See, that seems silly to me. It makes it seem like you only care about the outside forces, and nothing about the goings on actually in the city. The only reason you don't concern yourselves with the clan wars is an OOC reason. It deals with PLAYER killing. But IC, what's the difference? I understand it's hard to get a grasp on this really (no offense, honestly), that it's a bit unfair to make these accusations, but it really seems very silly to me that the only reason you don't deal with clan wars is it involves players, makes little sense. Because of this I suggest that you get your clan together and reoutline the rules of Nonla. Reoutline your purpose, decide how you should deal with these problems. Then present it to everyone so that they understand exactly how you work.

"A kender will take anything that's not nailed down, and a kender with a good claw hammer will get those things too"
Wedge

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2004 5:43 am    Post subject: Response Reply with quote

I have posted more than one note, albeit, I generally only post one per war. Referring to this newest outbreak, I chose to alleviate the board of spam, and pursued icly outside of the board, whether or not this issue was to be pursued. Both clans were horribly un-interested. And let's face it, there's not much a peaceful clan can do. I suppose if our clan was the only source of some powerful spell, i.e. Heavensbless, then we could say something along the lines of, "We won't give you hbless unless you stop warring", because speaking in terms of 'what they'll get out of it' seems to be the only way to get the deadly clans to pay any attention. Nonla just doesn't have the numbers to do that. That's a horrible way to have to do things anyway. I will look into setting up a new rule outline and posting on Nonla's public board. That's a very good idea. The whole reason I started this thread was to get ideas on how to improve Nonla, find its faults, and try to fix them; I'd prefer the personal attacks against what I've done to not be a factor. At least I'm trying to get something done. As for you "since a few days ago" comment, yes, I became leader of Nonla approximately... 3 days ago. Now, to the PC vs. NPC bit. Officially, Nonla opposes all war, be it PC or NPC. However, Nonla also takes it upon itself to defend the weak and innocent against greater evils. Say Fane says "I'm going to kill you all" Nonla would respond "Let's see if we can't work something out". That will clearly fail, and Fane will attack; Nonla will return fire. Once it's clear no amount of coercing will convince Fane to leave us alone, Nonla will assist in eleminating this threat. The only part of this that is applicable in a clan war is the first "Let's see if we can't work this out". Past that, there's nothing much Nonla can do, except ask again later, talk with the leaders, etc. As for the killing of guards and priests... how would not allowing this at all help Nonla with it's "too many regulations"? I say, I don't care what you kill when you're OOC flag is on. But if you're IC, kill things that would make sense. And it's not that we choose to not deal with it, it's just there's not a whole lot we can do about it, as you've pointed out. In a response to this, I'm going to try and enforce on our members the importance and value of good rp. That seems to be the only way to truly keep Nonla alive, and to do this, I'll need G's help to make Nonla appealing again. Thanks again, Night, for your suggestion on the rule outline, I will definately do that. Hope what I've said above will not necessarily forgive our lack of action, but at least explain it.
Palermo

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2004 6:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hrm, I think another problem for Nonla is that most of the members are just alts... Wedge, right now it seems that you are the only person who plays their main char in Nonla... Night did when he was in Nonla.. but since he left, most of the people I see in Nonla are just alts...

Now as far as to how Nonla interacts with others.. I think that yes, they should be able to help deadlies, but if a clan is at war with another clan, all help from Nonla stop. No heals, no spell ups, nothing to a clan that is at war with another clan. I think Nonla should try and help resolve the conflict between the two clans, but like Wedge said, there's really not much you can do but ask them to stop. And, of course, no nonla should help a deadly who is fighting another deadly... and no nonla should set foot in the arena.
Nightblade
Mud Admin

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2004 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On the order of making Nonla appealing again I do have a valid suggestion. Do something about the fact that Nonla has more pks than Di Eamen. Personally I think it was bad judgement to allow those pks to happen as is (I blame Gareth, hehe sry G), but if a pk does happen you should definitely do something about it. Letting those go just makes you appear more hypocritical. I suppose having Gareth clear the pks off the 'clans' command might assist, but I'm not sure if you'd want to do it or not...either way, if it happens again you should definitely take action.

Also, I never remember you going to the leaders of Forsaken Wedge.

Wedge

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2004 1:22 am    Post subject: Response Reply with quote

I'm pretty sure I talked to Cedrick or Quakank one, but maybe I didn't, but if one side refuses to agree, why bother with the other? As for the pks, I seem to remember one being during Adrian's Warwizard transformation... maybe 2? I don't remember where the rest came from, but getting those cleared would be nice.
Nightblade
Mud Admin

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2004 1:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yea I know one was from Adrian's quest, which is the one I blame on Gareth, hehehe.

Anyway, I'm uh, pretty darn sure you didn't talk to Quakank...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Abandoned Codex Forum Index -> General All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: