Abandoned Codex Forum Index Abandoned Codex
The Abandoned Codex Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Sanctuary

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cedrick

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2005 11:30 pm    Post subject: Sanctuary Reply with quote

Gareth touched briefly upon the idea of gradually removing sanctuary from the MUD, save from the spells of clerics and paladins. Many of us who were there at the time agreed -- a spell that powerful and easy to get sort of unbalances the game. So, those of us who liked the idea thought of ways to refine it: say, if players lose sanc then so do mobs, or mob damage is lowered so that players are not brutalized, or equipment damage frequency is lowered, etc... just balance issues, mostly.

So, shall we continue talking about this issue here? I'm curious as to hear your two cents.
Gareth
Admin 2

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2005 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sanc is a lazy way to stat a high level mob if you're worried it might get taken down too easily.
In a perfect world, mobs where it didn't make sense for them to have sanc, would have sanc removed, but the rest of their stats would be looked at to make sure they were fair.

One other alternative might be to switch the numbers of 'protection' and 'sanc' around, so that sanc cuts damage from anything by one quarter and can be cast on others, and protection is the self-cast one that clerics get to keep themselves alive that halves incoming damage from evil (maybe change it from 'evil' to 'your opposite alignment' for evil clerics). It'd probably be a nicer solution balance-wise, _but_ it would also need the same round of mob-checking to go with it.

Thoughts?
Lucifer

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2005 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah but, augs and illusionists arent that tough without it, i forgot to cast sanc and got taken down by the mayor of rshyikannan in 5 rounds. arent the classes based on the spells they have?

personally i would like to keep sanc, even its changed to a self only spell
Gareth
Admin 2

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2005 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, let's see, you're level 58 at the moment, and the Mayor is level 65, and you lasted 5 rounds. So it's not actually that unreasonable.

In the instance of Augurers, they probably wouldn't lose it entirely but it would be gradually shifted upwards to be a higher level spell for them. As for illusionists, they don't get it at the moment anyway, so I dunno what you're talking about there.
Nightblade
Mud Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2005 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the idea of having protection and sanctuary stats swapped. If balanced out, the added protection clerics would get from it while other classes go without would probably be a welcome addition. I'd also say that the idea of protection giving protection vs opposite alignment is a good one, and personally how the spell should have worked in the first place.

"A kender will take anything that's not nailed down, and a kender with a good claw hammer will get those things too"
Palermo

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2005 5:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with G and Night on this... maybe instead of removing staves and potions have them pop randomly on boss mobs like Txa, DoS, and Lhoch... Clerics would get great chances to make money or get certain items that they can't get on their own... and mages would get a little extra attention from ppl asking for recharges...
Gareth
Admin 2

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2005 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
and mages would get a little extra attention from ppl asking for recharges...

I agree with the sentiment, although the other thing I'm wary of is creating a culture where mages / clerics are vital for the things they do that only take a few seconds sat in a safe room to do - cause then you get a system where everyone has a mage/cleric alt that they bring on for 30 second periods to help their mates out, then log off again. Which as far as I'm concerned is really just another form of multiplay abuse.
Seph
Ghost 2

PostPosted: Sat Jul 09, 2005 4:39 am    Post subject: hmmm.. Reply with quote

I'm not going to touch on the avatar aspect of this,
but if you know what you're doing enough to know where to get sanc at low levels, and not everyone does, it completely changes the whole task of leveling. In a game with no potions, expensive healers and a shrinking economy, i think sanc is nice to have. Make it rarer, definately. But dont eliminate it completely.
I dunno, I'd do into a lot more detail, but I dont feel like it right now.
Ronin

PostPosted: Wed Aug 10, 2005 5:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's why Dispel Magic was invented (Granted it takes about 100 casts to actually work, even with detect magic).

"Wow. I'm getting slaughtered... what gives? Oh.... sanc ran out. *quaff's vial* There we go."

It would certainly make things interesting. At the very least, if could be toned down a large factor.
neq

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2007 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

was sanc ever changed?
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Gareth
Admin 2

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2007 3:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

no. I'd still like to in principle, but it's so very deeply ingrained into the system that I don't think it's likely to happen anytime soon.
Nightblade
Mud Admin

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2007 12:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That'd be a lot of mobs to change....

"A kender will take anything that's not nailed down, and a kender with a good claw hammer will get those things too"
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Abandoned Codex Forum Index -> General All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: