Abandoned Codex Forum Index Abandoned Codex
The Abandoned Codex Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Some things that I'd like to see changed

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wizzy

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2006 3:44 pm    Post subject: Some things that I'd like to see changed Reply with quote

Alright, well I haven't really played in a long, long time - but I'd kind of like to. There are just a few things personally stopping me from doing so.

I've been playing a ton of World of Warcraft lately, and they've done some brilliant things to help out - things I think would help out.

Death - Extremely annoying in this game. Yes, I died, I know. Not only did I die - I lost a shit load of exp, and possibly because some other mob randomly wandered in and interfered. There should be a much smaller penalty, and perhaps none. in WoW it's simple - you become a ghost, you go get your corpse, or you get a healer to ressurect you (however you get something like a 25% decreace to equipment durability).

With text games you can't tell when some random thing is going to wander in - and sometimes you need to flee. In a graphical game, you can see it coming and get out of the way. There's really no reason to lose experience for fleeing... Although, now that I think about it - I suppose since XP is given per hit for some reason, then it make sense. However, the whole getting XP as you hit doesn't make much sense (although you can't really change that).

It also stops people from adventuring around - because they're worried about getting jumped and royally screwed out of a lot of hard earned experience, especially at higher levels. Back in the day, I would bet you I didn't even see 1/2 the MUD - because I didn't want to lose so much of my work because of one mistake.

Experience - major problem I think. I can't stand the last 25 counter. Some classes can't kill much, and there aren't many levels to get to easily within level ranges. It can be super tedious trying to be a beginner solo Augerer, Cleric, Mage, etc and having to kill the same mob over and over, but hardly having it count because of diminishing exp. It's not like I can go elsewhere to gain my experience.

I'm not saying it needs to be easy to level - but experience does need to be easier to come by - or there needs to be more areas for levels so people can clear that annoying counter.

Maybe there even needs to be "auto quests" a-la WOW - where you actually do go do something meaningful (as I remember you saying you want people to be doing) that are right for your level and give you extra experiene for doing them - perhaps, go kill X Mobs, or go gather this for me for a special thing I need to make.

If anything - a big decrease in some of those curves would be great.

*add - I'm on as a mage, and I killed the lotus for about 600 total exp. At level 3 I need to kill him 31 times! 31! that just seems pretty odd to get to level 4 - I can run around and kill things in the beginner area, but it takes a long time, I need to rest a lot, and if a mob wanders, I'm screwed. That's just what I'm talking about.

Balance - it seems to be there isn't quite enough balance to the classes. Mages are supposed to have wicked spells right? Supposed to be able to kick out some massive damage.... So, why don't they?

I can start out a Warrior and go around and crush things at lower levels. However, my mage still gets his butt owned by a Naga in the beginners area. A mage should be physically weak. However, their spells need to do some real damage. I can destroy creatures with my warrior, and I can take a lot of damage. However, my mage does a little damage, and gets hit just as much - thus having a ton of down time to regen, and having a lot of flees and deaths. There should be some way for magic characters to avoid physical contact - but should they be hit, I agree, they should take quite a bit of damage. At the same time, my spells should be doing a lot more damage - there's no reason my fireball shouldn't be dealing as much damage as some warrior with a sword. Ok - he's got metal and he's slashing at enemies, but I'm burning them to a crisp... Oh, wait, no I'm not - I'm doing a trivial amount of damage and running out of mana extremely quickly, thus resorting back to physical damage, which I suck at.

</rant> - there just needs to be more balance. A mage should do wicked damage, even at lower levels they should be able to kill like warriors - however, not take the damage. More damage, however less survivability when being hit. This isn't jus for mages, but my example.

Professions - one of the best things WOW did, that I always thought would be cool in a game.

You've got people who mine things, people who pick herbs, people who skin animals, etc, etc - then they area able to make items, or sell them for others to make. You've got people making special potions, people making and selling weapons and armor, etc, etc.

It's pretty cool to go out and mine a bunch of copper, go smelt it, and then create my own Axe.

I'm not saying to do it just like WOW - but I think it would be a neat idea to have a way to more contribute to the world, and especially to yourself.

Equipment - One of the problems I had. Back when I was an AV you just looked at any other AV and they all had the same equipment. Sure, there were a few differences for people who got extra rare stuff and what not - but not much.

For leveling up, it's especially annoying. First there aren't many weapons so you don't have much choice. It would be cool to see more axes and swords for warriors - with buffs to choose from, more Str and Con on one maybe - or another with Dex +1 or something. It just seems you get that one item and then you're stuck with it for so long before anything better comes along.

Especially a problem, to me, with the level requirement... Great, I've got to wait 15 levels to get that new weapon to only slightly improve my attack. There should be more weapons in more ranges.

They shouldn't be super easy to get or anything - but they should be obtainable. I should be able to save up and buy - or even collect items and create it somehow. Which leads me to this - it can be so hard to get that equipment. Often without an AV or higher level who wants to go out and get it for you, you're screwed. By the time you can get that item yourself, it's useless. It would be nice to see equipment for leveling up a little easier to obtain.

Again - not saying to make it so anyone can get anything - but there should be a reasonable way to obtain better level to help me kill those mobs.

Those are just a few things that sort of bother me when I think about coming back. Not saying I don't want to - I'd like to try, but I end up tiring because I made it to 85 once, and I know this time won't be any different and just as tedious. I'll get all the same eq, kill the same mobs over and over (having to clear that buffer), i'll die and lose a ton of experience I just spent all day gaining, etc, etc.

I'd really love to see some more balance in the classes, and a lot more options for leveling and equipment. It would be nice to have more areas to explore, or different mobs to kill. It would also be great to have some drops from mobs that can improve my eq. Oh, look! That dwarf I just killed drop a nice axe - it's not a ton better than mine, but it's an improvement (maybe even just a few damge points)! That would really make my day.

*excuse any grammar and spelling - I'm too lazy to go through that all.

I don't know how hard it is for you to change things around - but these are just things I think about when I think about the MUD.
Gareth
Admin 2

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2006 4:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Some things that I'd like to see changed Reply with quote

Wizzy wrote:
Death - There should be a much smaller penalty, and perhaps none.

Not happening, sorry.

Quote:
some other mob randomly wandered in and interfered

I try to keep aggro mobs low-level (within the context of the area) and encourage builders to do the same. As for mobs auto-assisting, I've changed it so that mobs won't assist mobs less than 5 levels below them - that way it isn't _too_ hard a smack when it happens.

Quote:
There's really no reason to lose experience for fleeing...

Yes there is.
Quote:
However, the whole getting XP as you hit doesn't make much sense

Yes it does.

Quote:
I would bet you I didn't even see 1/2 the MUD

Quote:
It would be cool to see more axes and swords for warriors

Quote:
I'll get all the same eq, kill the same mobs over and over

I suspect quote #1 might be the cause of #2 and #3. There's over 90 areas, and I'm adding them at a rate of maybe one every 2-3 months. Content isn't something we're lacking.

Quote:
Maybe there even needs to be "auto quests" a-la WOW

Working on that, in various forms.

Quote:
Mages are supposed to have wicked spells right? Supposed to be able to kick out some massive damage.... So, why don't they?

I added Quantum Blast and Crystal Disruption only a few days ago. Also upped the very lowest level spells a bit too. I won't bother trotting out the War Wizard argument (gah, too late.)

Quote:
Professions - one of the best things WOW did, that I always thought would be cool in a game.

Meh, very nice I suppose. I can't see myself implementing it this year or the next, though, it's just not a direction I particularly want to take the mud in; although I am (and have been) adding things to try to widen the scope of gameplay (most recent examples being the crimson mana crystals for Mages, which have to be found)

Quote:
Equipment - One of the problems I had. Back when I was an AV you just looked at any other AV and they all had the same equipment. Sure, there were a few differences for people who got extra rare stuff and what not - but not much.

Again, I'm adding areas all the time. As MUDs go, Codex is pretty large (doubly so if you discount muds expanded off the back of extra imported 'stock' areas). I even built an av 'run' area a few weeks ago to tag onto Battlegrounds. Try giving it a go. Or getting off your lazy moaning ass and building some areas of your own.
Wizzy

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2006 5:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Some things that I'd like to see changed Reply with quote

Gareth wrote:
Or getting off your lazy moaning ass and building some areas of your own.

Nothing to do with lazy at all - and I'm not moaning.

I'm not a builder - plain and simple. I'm not good at making fair equipment, balanced mobs, and interesting areas. Not my field.
Gareth
Admin 2

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2006 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, on the subject of aggro mobs: Just as I've got a long-standing policy of examining mobs for downstatting that people suggest as being too hard for their level, so I'm also interested to hear about any aggro mobs that are too tough for the area that they're (i.e. areas where it's really dangerous to explore unless you're already too high a level to get much benefit out of half the mobs in them). Then I can do something about it.
Although I'd consider it a bit more respectful if y'all addressed such things to me in private (mudmail in the square or email admin 'at' abandonedcodex.net).
Seph
Ghost 2

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2006 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only real thing i agree with is that mages and clerics and illus and druids and WWs should be on par with their counterparts. However, I dont think they should be at low levels. Not at all, they're MAGIC users. They dont know how to use strong magics at low levels, much the same as how fighters dont know how to use incredible feats of physical prowess or whatnot at low levels. The difference is, fighters are just that, built and conditioned to fight. They can take hits and dish out more damage without knowing all those skills yet. Wizards cant, because they dont have the magic.

I find it important here to note that warriors, easiest class to level, pkill and equip from level 1 through to about 60, SUCK 70+. Pick your poison.

I do, however, agree that at high levels these classes should have spells and possibly a skill or two so that while the thieves circle, vamps pwndizzle, rangers meliorate, warriors thud stuff with sticks, these classes can hold their own.

Vampires are the strongest class, but they take the longest to level, and are a big challenge for the first bit. Assassins and Pallies are damn near impossible to level, but very worth it. If you make dying easier and all that experience easier to get, then theres no point to play anything else, is there?

With regards to the world of warcraft crap. Go play that crappy game, because this place is its own entity.

Also, show alot of respect for Gareth, and for everyone who spent time building those areas that are so frustrating for you, because they arent getting paid anything. G runs this place spick and span, and he never sees anything for it, much less gets thanked.
Nightblade
Mud Admin

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2006 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Only thing I really agreed with was the magic users getting a little uppage, but that's a pretty common topic of complaint anyway so it's not that new to hear.

On the matter of having tradeskills... that's something that would be alright to have and mess around with, but on an implementation level - I can't even imagine the work it would take. I'd much rather see more skills/spells/classes/races/remorts/quests before tradeskills.

Quote:
For leveling up, it's especially annoying. First there aren't many weapons so you don't have much choice. It would be cool to see more axes and swords for warriors - with buffs to choose from, more Str and Con on one maybe - or another with Dex +1 or something. It just seems you get that one item and then you're stuck with it for so long before anything better comes along.

The thing with this is, there ARE a lot of weapons and you DO have a lot of choice. People either a) Don't take advantage of that choice or, b) all choose the same thing.

I mean seriously, if a half-troll warrior sees a sword which does 25 av dam and gives +3 to strength compared to a sword which does 25 av dam but gives +3 to dex... he'll prolly take the dex. Most half-troll warriors have a high amount of strength already but are seriously lacking on the dex. There's a lot more choice out there than you're giving credit to, but you only see certain things because, to be honest, a warrior doesn't need a piece of equipment which gives him int or wis or cha, the same way a thief really doesn't need something that gives him dex.

On the avatar equipment level it's pretty easy to see why we have the issue of people wearing mostly the same stuff. Most avs jack up the stats they need until they buy themselves up to max, then go all out hr/dr/armor/resists.

I guess also contributing to the "problem" of equipment is that a lot of builders build on the mentality of putting in an item which is just a tad better than the item they're currently using on their mainport char. This isn't so much of a problem anymore, but that thought still nags the mind of a newer builder who is making an av area, "Why should I put this item in if no one will use it because <this> item is better and already in?"
I guess the same idea could be applied to the tradeskills idea. Why should people make their own items or buy player made items when looted stuff is better? Essentially, playermade equipment would have to be better than looted (in most cases) in order to make it worth while. I used to play Star Wars Galaxies and I can tell you first hand that if you're going to have an economy based on player made items, it needs to REMAIN that way from the BEGINNING. Jumping ship midstream is going to destroy the game.

"A kender will take anything that's not nailed down, and a kender with a good claw hammer will get those things too"
Wizzy

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2006 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seph wrote:

With regards to the world of warcraft crap. Go play that crappy game, because this place is its own entity.

Also, show alot of respect for Gareth, and for everyone who spent time building those areas that are so frustrating for you, because they arent getting paid anything. G runs this place spick and span, and he never sees anything for it, much less gets thanked.

I do respect him, I was just trying to give suggestions. But I should have known they'd be taken the wrong way.

Also, WOW isn't crappy - just because you don't like it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Abandoned Codex Forum Index -> General All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: